Monday, September 28, 2009

To Fang or Not to Fang


I just signed the first of what I hope will be several contracts for a new series entitled Lucani Lovers from Ellora's Cave. Set in the same world as my Magical Seduction series, Lucani Lovers will focus on Etruscan wolf shifters. The first story, "Kiss of Moonlight," will be released soon from EC.

Werewolves can be a hard sell for some. I love them, always have.The first movie I remember seeing as a child was "The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney Jr. Larry Talbot was a tragic hero thrust into a situation violently and unwillingly. He had no idea what was happening to him. He was a victim.

But that wasn't the kind of story I wanted to tell.

In my mind, the ability to shift into another creature would be amazing, a magical gift, not a horrific trauma. My lucani are wolf shifters, members of the Enu, one of the two magical races descended from the ancient Etruscans. They're proud of their abilities, of their heritage. They guard their secret well, knowing if the outside world gets wind of their gifts, they'll be hunted to extinction. Their ancestors formed a secret auxiliary of the ancient Roman Army and today, they use their army heritage to keep their people from running wild.

In "Kiss of Moonlight," you'll meet Kyle, a lucani who thinks his life is pretty much set in stone. At 37, with a teenage daughter, he's not prepared for the changes one very pretty but damaged 23-year-old will bring to his life.

Kyle mans up pretty fast, because he's just that kind of guy--strong, stubborn, old enough to know better and smart enough to realize when to give in. He's become one of my favorite characters, right up there with Cam and Sal.

And I can't wait for you all to meet him.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi :)
KISS OF MOONLIGHT sounds great!
I've got it on my Buy&Read list!
From the description I love the concept and the characters.
:)
Thank you for sharing,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxxo

michelle said...

oooh! sounds great! I really liked your Etruscan fae so I can't wait to read about your Etruscan werewolves :)

Do you have a tentative release date? I have to put this on my watch list.

Michelle

Stephanie Julian said...

RKCharron, thanks so much. Hope you like the story.

Stephanie Julian said...

Michelle, I'm so glad you've enjoyed my stories! That's the best thing to hear. I'm hoping late October, early November. Should know soon.

~Sia McKye~ said...

ooo, this series sounds intriguing, Steph. I'm the first to admit I love wolves and the idea they could shift into a human. I always wanted to be able to turn into a wolf and run with the pack.

Stephanie Julian said...

Sia, sometimes I howl like a wolf when I'm frustrated with my guys. Does that count? lol